The Facts About Family Homelessness
- More than 1.5 million U.S. children live in families without a home.
- Among those children, 42 percent are under the age of 6.
- Homeless families are more likely to be led by a single mother in her twenties.
- The top 3 reasons for family homelessness are lack of affordable housing, poverty and domestic violence.
- The current economic recession and the housing crisis further increase the likelihood of homeless among children and youth.
Source: The National Center for Children in Poverty
Women and children often come to us in dire circumstances after fighting to survive on the streets, but you can help them begin a new life!